Wednesday, August 8, 2012

#London2012...

“The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part; the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well.”  -Pierre de Coubertin


Oh, hello again! To say I've been distracted by the Summer Olympics is quite possibly the understatement of the year; I have been CONSUMED. My obsession began with the quirky opening ceremonies and has only intensified with each passing day. Given the myriad of ways to be "plugged-in", and the sheer number of events, one can easily occupy nearly every hour in the day by watching/reading/commenting/sharing these epic displays of sportsmanship and athleticism. Case in point, a phone call I received from a friend today:

Her: Hi, whatcha doin'?
Me: Sitting in my pj's live streaming the Games.
Her: Do I have to come over there and burn your pj's? I think you're in need of an Olympic intervention!
Me: Ummmmm, talk to you later!

In my defense, I do not entirely disagree with her that I may be in need of an intervention, but the gold medal beach volleyball match was just starting (yes, it was 4pm Eastern) and I really needed to focus on Kerri and Misty's THREE-PEAT!!! Seriously, I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I missed seeing this record, third-straight, gold-medal-winning, celebratory exchange LIVE...

Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

That said, the frustrating/upsetting "real" World can wait. I am going to continue to live in my live-streaming cocoon of excellent sportsmanship and superior athleticism for as long as I can; it's good for my psyche. I encourage all of you to join me...


1 comment:

  1. There are worse addictions! I love the olmpic hype; it inspires me to think about putting down my coffee cup, logging off the laptop and actually doing some sort of olympic sport myself. Or at least maybe just take the dog for a walk.

    P.S. Don't answer your phone during...well...don't answer your phone, period. :D

    ReplyDelete