Sunday, August 12, 2012

Farewell #London2012 ...

WOW. I seem to be in a bit of a post-Olympic stupor... I can't imagine why, I've just been holed up in the house for seven-plus days live-streaming and replaying events 24/7. I mean seriously, the Olympics has nothing on Engineering school; er, watching the Olympics, that is... Anyway, I promise a more thorough and enchanting recap forthwith; in the meantime, I share this heartfelt sentiment:

Thank you #London2012 and ALL Olympic Athletes for 17 days
 of epic displays of superior sportsmanship and astonishing athleticism! 
The flag has been passed and the flame extinguished, but the spirit lives on...


London, UK - Closing Ceremony 08/12/12                                                                                         Jamie Squire -- Getty Images

On a lighter Closing Ceremony note, Matt Zoller Seitz wrote a fun review, 'The London 2012 Closing Ceremony: Both Kitschy and Irresistible', for Vulture: "There wasn't a moment that wasn't in questionable taste; not only did the broadcast refuse to trouble itself over this, it claimed splendid-tawdry opulence, irreverence, and surrealism as defining aspects of U.K. pop culture. It was the least starchy closing ceremony in my lifetime." I would have to agree with him 100% on the 'least starchy' comment. Yet, even among all of the absurdity and frivolity, there was a sincerity that came through; he identifies it best in his closing: "The most informal touch was the most moving: The athletes arrived on field in unison rather than filing in nation by nation. Imagine there are no countries; it isn't hard to do."

Change W. Lee -- NY Times
'Imagine there are no countries; it isn't hard to do.
Nothing to kill or die for and no religion too.
Imagine all the people living life in peace.
You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us and the world will be as one.'

Jed Jacobsohn -- NY Times
Click Here to watch the Closing Ceremony John Lennon tribute: Imagine







1 comment:

  1. It's only good-bye for four years.

    You should've been hired as an olympic commentator!

    ReplyDelete