Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday, Monday...

I'm not one who appreciates/respects edicts, but this is one I could definitely follow:


Monday has never been my favorite day of the week; I would usually start dreading it sometime early Sunday morning. The self-punishing would follow Sunday night in the form of feverishly attempting to squeeze all of the chores I had planned to do over the weekend into the 8pm-Midnight slot. As a result, I religiously experienced the feeling of epic failure and my dread of Monday would increase exponentially. Yes, 'Monday', you win. I would imagine 'Monday' sitting back in all its glory, raising a glass and smiling condescendingly at having bested me yet again.

One might think that an unemployed person would feel differently about the "start of the week"; at least I hoped that would be the case for me. Alas, I still dread Mondays since they now represent all of the gainfully employed people in my life returning to their jobs and professional identities, while I sit at my kitchen table searching and applying to jobs with my professional identity waning by the day. Definitely not what I had planned on for this point in my life, but I will not let it beat me! Instead, I focus on weekends which are non-threatening/safe because my professional (employed) friends and family are available to have coffee, lunch, dinner or drinks and I'm not nagged by that feeling that I'm supposed to be at work. Who's raising their glass and smiling now, 'Monday'?

I feel a song coming on; let's close with a little Mamas & Papas today. =)

Click Here To Listen: Monday, Monday

2 comments:

  1. I sometimes wish I could live with no calendar and no clock. I'd love to get up, go to sleep, eat, and just function according to how I felt as opposed to jumping on the weekly grind.

    Mute point about Monday, it's almost over now!

    ReplyDelete