Friday, September 28, 2012

#Kindergarten is Key...

“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be ignited.”
~ Plutarch



I have a superhero hiding in my neighborhood. Shhhh... Don't tell anyone, but she lives right next door to me; she is a Kindergarten TEACHER! You may not notice when you first meet her, or when you see her doing everyday neighborly things (walking her dog, mowing the lawn), BUT the moment she steps into her classroom she is a caped crusader bringing structure, learning and love to the world of her five-year-old students.


I had the pleasure of visiting my neighbor's classroom today; it was an adventure -- observing and interacting with a room full of 5-year-olds all functioning at different levels is fascinating! A little tiring too, but extremely rewarding; I can't wait to go back...


Robert Fulghum was right, everything you NEED to know you DO learn in Kindergarten (socially-speaking): be nice, share, take turns, raise your hand, pay attention, put things back where you found them, etc. Academically, there is a little more to learn beyond Kindergarten, but how to READ and WRITE, basic addition/subtraction and telling time coupled with calendaring will actually take you pretty far!


I was one of those obnoxious zealous children that couldn't wait to go to school every day to learn something new; I would actually wake my mother up in the morning! I am grateful to all of my teachers for putting up with tirelessly channeling my enthusiasm in a constructive manner, helping to shape me into the life-long learner I am today.

THANK YOU

#Learning #Teacher #Read #Write #Kindergarten #Add #Subtract #Student #Education
 

1 comment:

  1. Awwww!

    So enjoyed having you today; the kids were talking about you all day.

    Sometime before your next visit we will channel a lesson on "What is a question?" :)

    Thank you for bringing your energy and enthusiasm to our classroom community. xx00

    ReplyDelete